February 7, 2014
Relax with a book, newspaper or magazine, use our computers or Wi-Fi, have a bottle of water on us, and just chill!
If your home is air-conditioned and you don’t want to venture outside, then you can easily download a library e-book, put up your feet and ride out the heat.
Glen Eira City Council also has great tips for staying safe during a heatwave.
January 31, 2014
Opening hours have been extended at Bentleigh, Carnegie and Caulfield libraries on Sunday to give residents a cool place to escape the heat. The libraries will be open from 12pm until 8pm.
161 Jasper Road, Bentleigh
7 Shepparson Avenue, Carnegie
Glen Eira Town Hall, Corner Glen Eira Road and Hawthorn Roads, Caulfield
January 21, 2014
With Australia Day approaching, it’s great to see that four Australian books made it to the top 10!
Top Ten Books for 2013 –
1. Diary of a Wimpy Kid : Hard Luck by Jeff Kinney (228,400 copies sold)
2. Jamie’s 15-Minute Meals by Jamie Oliver (173,800 copies sold)
3. Inferno by Dan Brown (173,400 copies sold)
4. Save with Jamie by Jamie Oliver (157,300 copies sold)
5. The 39-Storey Treehouse by Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton (136,200 copies sold)
6. The Tournament by Matthew Reilly (114,400 copies sold)
7. Guinness World Records 2014 (97,300 copies sold)
8. I Quit Sugar by Sarah Wilson (92,400 copies sold)
9. Ponting: At the Close of Play by Ricky Ponting (89,100 copies sold)
10. The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult (88,600 copies sold)
What was the best book you read last year? And what’s on your list for 2014?
This year’s first Book Chats theme is “Best sellers from 2013″ – drop in and join in the discussion.
December 24, 2013
December 20, 2013
Check out the shortlist of ten books set in Victoria, about Victorians or by Victorian authors.
Read and win – just name a book you’ve read from this year’s Summer Read list and recommend a great read to win a fabulous book pack!
Click here to find out more and to enter the draw.
You can borrow The Summer Read books from Glen Eira’s libraries – some are also available as e-books.
- The battle for Lone Pine: four days of hell at the heart of Gallipoli by David W Cameron
- A world of other people by Steven Carroll (e-book)
- Sisters of Spicefield by Fran Cusworth
- Love with a chance of drowning: a memoir by Torre DeRoche (e-book)
- The memory trap by Andrea Goldsmith (e-book)
- Blood witness by Alex Hammond
- Night games: sex, power and sport by Anna Krien (e-book)
- Is it just me? Confessions of an over-sharer by Chrissie Swan
- Father Bob: the larrikin priest by Sue Williams
- The swan book by Alexis Wright (e-book)
November 21, 2013
Ponting: at the close of play by Ricky Ponting
From child protégé to international cricket star and then life after cricket, this is the autobiography of a private man who became one of Australia’s most public figures. (Also available as an e-book)
Cross my Heart by James Patterson
This is the twenty-first novel featuring Metro Police detective Alex Cross. Cross becomes the obsession of a genius of menace set on proving that he is the greatest mind in the history of crime. When the ones Cross loves are in danger, he will do anything to protect them – but if he does anything to protect them, they will die.
Sycamore Row by John Grisham
Grisham’s legal thrillers have made him the one of the most popular storytellers of the past 20 years. This long-awaited sequel to Grisham’s 1989 novel ‘A Time to kill’ that launched his phenomenal career is already topping the bestseller lists.
King and Maxwell by David Baldacci
They’re back! Sean King and Michelle Maxwell - former Secret Service agents turned private investigators – return in their sixth and most dangerous case ever.
Teenager Tyler Wingo learns that his soldier father was killed in action in Afghanistan. Tyler then receives a communication from his father . . . after his death. Tyler hires Sean and Michelle to solve the mystery, but the investigation raises troubling questions. Is Tyler’s father really dead? What was his true mission? Is Tyler the next target?
The Winter Sea by Di Morrissey
Escaping an unhappy marriage, Cassie Holloway moves to the NSW coastal town of Whitby Point where she falls in love. But a devastating family secret threatens to destroy her dreams and future happiness.
Dark Witch by Nora Roberts
An American searches for her Irish ancestors to learn more about her powers and break an ancient curse.